Thursday, June 11, 2009

"...you should write a blog!"

...I can't say I fully agree with the above statement.

I've never really liked the idea of "blogging" because I thought it was narcissistic and stupid. Not to say people who blog are those things, but rather the act of blogging itself. Honestly, who seriously cares what my opinion is on...anything? Who am I to have a blog? I'm no one important. Not an author, a speaker, a professor or an expert on anything. I'm a community college student in the Bay Area. Who would care enough to read an online publication about what I think? Clearly, YOU do.

So why do it? Well...
  1. As a college student, my life is in transition; I'm going from adolescence to adulthood. I'm going from being dependent to independent. I'm going from academics to application. A new season is dawning, and it's quite overwhelming. It really puts things in perspective; I was a minor JUST a year ago. I was in HIGH SCHOOL! Now I'm legal. Now I'm in college. Now life is about to begin. There's so much change, so many trials and errors, so many lessons to be learned. I feel like talking about what's going on is a good way to process my "journey."
  2. As a Christ-Follower, I long for meaning in this life. I don't want to just occupy space, or just go through the motions. I want to make it count. God came into this world to bring me from death to life and out of darkness into light(John 5:24, 1 Peter 2:9). Jesus set me free from what hinders me so I can live into the fullness of the potential He's foretold. I want to be different and I want to make a difference. (Romans 12, Micah 6:8) Doug Fields, this renowned youth pastor I saw at a leadership conference, said in order to do that you have to discover how God's designed you. You have to examine your S.H.A.P.E and apply it to our world. Your "shape" is simply who you are: your spiritual gifts, your passions, talents, personality traits and experiences. Your identity.

Unfortunately, for an introvert, I fall incredibly short when it comes to self-assessment. That's probably where my "moderate" nature comes in. I couldn't tell you with certainty what I'm GOOD at, or what I'm most passionate about, what kind of person I am, or what I've REALLY been through.

Luck for me, I have many authentic and observant companions to help keep me in check. A good friend of mine, Lauren Majewski, suggested that I take advantage of my skills as a writer and put them to use. Hence, the blog.

I don't know where I'm gonna go with this. I guess we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment