Monday, June 15, 2009

Looking back. Part 1



Pictures taken June, 2008

I went to my high school's graduation ceremony the other day, mostly out of boredom and partly out of nostalgia. It was an interesting experience. Not a lot of alumni were there (much to my disappointment) and I didn't really have a lot of friends in the class of 2009. A few teachers seemed happy to see me, but most of them didn't care. Neither did I, to be perfectly honest. Like I said, I didn't really have a good reason to be there.

This was an impromptu decision after I got off work, so I obviously didn't have a seat. I stood in the balcony by the door and eventually moved down to the gallery on the side of the auditorium. Both places had excellent views, I just wish I could have given my knees a rest.

Talk about a flashback. It so surreal to watch this: I remember sitting among my peers in those crappy plastic chairs, clad in the heavy and suffocating gradation robe with the stupid hat. I remember in the moment, it went by so slowly yet gracefully and methodically. They'd call a name. A roar of applause would sound. The student would walk up. Receive diploma - it would actually just be an empty leather binder. Shake hands with the Principal. Photo-op. Sit down. Repeat cycle 100 times and wait for the flood of pretentious bull-crap to pass. Hoot and holler with gusto and throw that hat up victoriously.

A lot of people were crying. I guess I really wasn't feeling the vibe, because watching these little troopers graduate was about as moving as Zoolander and half as entertaining. Although, I must say...it made me think a lot about where I was a year ago, and where I am now.

In some ways, I feel like I'm decades out of high school; I feel different. I've learned so much in the last 12 months. And I'm not just talking academics. Where do I even begin?
Somewhere in my journey through night classes, isolation, elections, parking tickets, protests, depression, block schedules, late fees, homework and "life-guarding"... I feel like I've learned so much about being a Man. My friend Philip summed it up nicely: "Knowing what you gotta do, and just DOING it." It's knowing that I'm not a child anymore. Knowing that I have to take ownership of what I do and that I have to take responsibility. No one is telling me what to do. I just got to know what it is, and do it with all my heart. (Colossians 3:23)

Jesus continues to remind me the importance of keeping a balance in life. The importance of managing time and priorities. Too much of anything is not good. In high school I learned that all work and no play makes Charlie a dull boy. We are human. We are mortal. We have limits. No one can just keep going. Surely you'll self-destruct if you try. You have to be still once in a while. Get some rest. Spend some time just being. Then, go do something you love. Go on an adventure. Be with people you love. Laugh.

Unfortunately, the complete absence of work is just as deadly...if not more. It's not okay to blow off our obligations. How do we expect to get anywhere if we never do things we don't want to? What if we need to? What if it's completely necessary?
Basically, I need to take care of myself AND get stuff done. No easy task. But, my friends, there truly is a time for everything. (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment