Saturday, July 4, 2009

Celebrating Freedom

Originally I was gonna post this on the 4th of July, since it seemed so appropriate, but I decided to sleep in and be lazy.

My family didn't do much for Independence Day. It was a real small gathering this year.

This may sound horribly unpatriotic and unorthodox, but I actually don't affiliate myself very closely with my country. Don't get me wrong; I love living here. I love the U.S. and what it stands for. I believe in democracy and the growth that its struggle brings. I am thankful for the freedoms our forefathers have won for us, and I have a tremendous respect for those who fight for us in the Armed Forces (my cousin Mario, for one.)

However, I don't necessarily place my identity in being an American. And why should I? Who, but man, ordained this piece of land to be the United States? What is it more than a geographic location inhabited by a population of humans with a distinct - yet very comprehensive - culture? I don't really know where I'm going with this; I just don't think it's wise to put our identities in man-made institutions (i.e. schools attended, frats/sororities joined, companies employed by, states born in etc.)

There's no doubt that there are many advantages and freedoms that come with being born in this country. I feel like I shouldn't have to elaborate. If you disagree...too bad, go read our Constitution.

This is so cliche, but oh so pertinent...I want to acknowledge the freedom that comes in our allegiance to Christ.

I just started reading this little book called Sit, Walk, Stand by Watchman Nee, a renowned martyr and church-planter in communist China. His three chapter, 70-page short work of wisdom is based on Ephesians, and talks about our position in relation to God, the physical world around us, and Satan.

The first chapter, called "sit", deals with our initial relationship to God. Upon salvation, Nee argues, we are to enter into His presence "with an acceptance by faith of what God has done..." Jesus wants us to receive what He has for us: freedom from sin. We came into this world predisposed to the curse of the sins of our fathers, but Jesus provided a way out. He wants us to rest in the knowledge that everything has been taken care of.

We're off the hook; Jesus paid the price. He won the fight. He bridged the gap. He filled the hole inside. He loosened the chains. He took on the burden. He satisfied the requirements of the law.

His desire is to share this victory with us. Ephesians says that "God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms." (2:6) In Christ - through the cross - we sit with God and to rest in Him and receive the gift of His sacrifice.

We're set free from sin; we're no longer bound to its solely deleterious and inhibiting effects on our heart, mind, body and soul. The power of sorrow, shame, sickness, pain, hunger, anger, hopelessness and death no longer have a hold on us who have been saved because God lives in us, and greater is He who lives in us than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4). We are free to live life the way it was meant to be: fully and abundantly.

Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment