Saturday, April 17, 2010

Revisiting the Treadmill part 3

Now back to the treadmill...

I believe my kind of waiting is one that is active. It is preparation, it is training. Not simply a gap of time between point A and B, but an intentional period of time to ready oneself for what comes next. Just like my jogging on the treadmill is a way of conditioning and refining my body to run outside, so must be my place in life right now. Where I'm at is not the ultimate path God has for me, but rather a training ground to strength my legs to convey me towards whatever destiny awaits me.
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. "Make level paths for your feet," so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.
Hebrews 12:11-13
This anonymous letter (no, it wasn't Paul) wrote this to Jewish converts who felt social pressures to turn back from their new way of living, or to compromise their current beliefs with their old customs. The entire book of Hebrews is about the character of Jesus and how we ought to approach Him in light of His attributes (i.e. sovereignty, compassion, wisdom etc.) The author of the book of Hebrews called the "hardships" his recipients edured "discipline" from God. In Ancient Greek, the word for discipline was "epaideuon" , which referred to
the whole training and education of children - which relates to the cultivation of mind and morals, and employs for this purpose now commands and admonitions, now reproof and punishment. It also includes the training and care of the body
We must approach God in hardships as our teacher or our coach, for that is what He uses to strengthen us and refine us like silver. The Hebrews were to take their troubles as an opportunity to learn and grow into the people God intended.

If the Word of God truly is "living", then the exhortations presented here can most certainly be applied to my life, as well. Therefore, I believe the Lord is using my hardship of monotony and restlessness to discipline me for some greater purpose I need to run after, and whatever it is will be worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment